Why YOU Need Breastfeeding Support
- The CDC reports that 74.7% of babies have ever been breastfed in Oklahoma, but by 6 months only 37.9% are still breastfeeding (2016 CDC Breastfeeding Report Card).
- Mothers who receive breastfeeding education are more likely to initiate and continue breastfeeding.
- Early recognition and support of breastfeeding issues help to prevent early weaning.
- Breastfeeding is natural but is a learned skill. Join me for prenatal and postnatal breastfeeding and pumping classes and lactation consultations.
Free Breastfeeding Support Groups in the OKC Metro Area (including Mustang, Yukon, and other surrounding areas)
- Nurturing Bonds Breastfeeding Circle: Free lending library available. Led by Ashley Barrett, Lactation Educator and student lactation consultant, mother of 3 children who had several different breastfeeding struggles. For more information check out the webpage, follow on Facebook, or subscribe to meeting reminders (at the bottom of the page).
- Nursing Connections at The Edmond Birthing Center: Meets weekly. Check their website for current times. As of writing, they are meeting on Tuesdays at 10 AM.
- La Leche League: Metro area LLL groups include Cleveland County Families (Norman), Edmond, OKC, Mustang/Yukon. See each individual group for meeting reminders. Peer support provided by leaders who have provided human milk to their babies for at least a year and have undergone extra training provided by La Leche League.
- Breastfeeding USA: There are groups in Edmond and OKC. See each individual group for meeting reminders. Mother-to-mother breastfeeding support provided by breastfeeding counselors who have breastfed or pumped and have completed peer counselor training provided by Breastfeeding USA.
- Milk Moms at Thrive Mama Collective. Milk Moms group meets twice each week. See their calendar for up to date meeting times. Ran by CLCs and breastfeeding professionals with the collective.
- Mother’s Milk Support Group at Green Bambino. The support group meets several times each week. Ran by a CLC. See their calendar for up to date meeting times.
- Lakeside Women’s Hospital: Monthly breastfeeding support group. See their website for dates and times.
- Chocolate Milk Cafe: See their Facebook for more information. Targeted to African-American and other women of color to support and empower through breastfeeding.
- Tinker AFB Breastfeeding Support Group: Online and in person breastfeeding support on base.
- COBA Baby Cafe: Offers breastfeeding support in 3 locations throughout the metro area. Please see their Facebook for current locations and times.
Local Online Breastfeeding Support
- Pregnant and Postpartum in Mustang and Yukon: Breastfeeding and pregnancy and postpartum support for mothers in Mustang and Yukon and surrounding areas.
- Oklahoma Breastfeeding Mamas
- OKC – Love and Struggle Breastfeeding, Working, and Pumping
For Other Professional Breastfeeding Help
- Ashley Barett is an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC), Registered Lactation Consultant (RLC). I offer breastfeeding consultations in the comfort of your own home. For more information please email me or visit my website.
- There is also an excellent list compiled of IBCLCs in Oklahoma available from WIC.
- If you need additional help finding an IBCLC near you I’m happy to help you. Please send me an email with your city and zip code and I will send you a list of IBCLCs near you.
- Oklahoma Breastfeeding Hotline is available 24/7 for breastfeeding questions. Call 1-877-271-MILK (6455) or visit the COBA (Coalition of Oklahoma Breastfeeding Advocates) website for more information.
If you have information that you would like added to the list or any updates for your group’s information please email Ashley Barrett.
Where do you like to go for breastfeeding support?